Frequently Asked Questions
How much is a new refrigerator?
- A: Generally, a top-mounted freezer model is the least expensive, costing between $350 and $600. Bottom-mounted freezer refrigerators may cost about $800 to $1,200. Increasingly, homeowners are choosing side-by-side models because of their larger capacity and the ease of accessing both the fridge and freezer.
Is it possible to open the refrigerator door the opposite way?
- A: Usually, yes. You can reverse the doors on most refrigerators. Consult the owner's manual for your refrigerator/freezer for the proper instructions. If you no longer have the manual, enter your model number in the search field at the top of this page to see if it’s available for purchase on our site.
What causes freezer burn? And is it safe?
- A: Freezer burn is a common problem caused by food packaging. Food dehydrates due to exposure to the air in the freezer. Standard supermarket packaging for many foods is not designed to prevent dehydration. If you intend to store food in your freezer for more than a few days, you should place the food in airtight containers or zippered plastic bags sp
Why do prices of similar refrigerators vary so much?
- A: Manufacturers typically offer lower prices on their low-quality appliances and higher prices on their choice lines. The difference in price is in the internal components in the machines. Lower-end machines have lower-quality materials than those that are more expensive.
Why is there a noise from the back of the refrigerator?
- A: The refrigerator is kept cold inside with the help of cooling coil, fan motor which is inside the product and the compressor which is fitted at the bottom rear side of the refrigerator. During the operation of the fridge it is normal to hear a humming noise.
What is a French door on a refrigerator?
- A: French door has become the most popular style in refrigeration. A French door by definition is a side by side top with a bottom freezer. This style is better than a side by side for the refrigerator, because you will be eye level with most of the foods, shelves, and crisper drawers.
What should the temperatures be inside the refrigerator and freezer?
- A: A temperature of 3 to 4°C on average is preferred, with upper and lower limits of 0 to 7°C. At 7°C food will deteriorate more quickly.
Who makes the refrigerators?
- A: Whirlpool (whirlpool owns maytag, amana, kitchen aid, roper, and some kenmore's are built by whirlpool.) Frigidaire (frigidaire owns, or rather is owned by electrolux, and builds some kenmore's.) Bosch (best known for their dishwashers, but has moved into refrigerators and stoves.
Is it easy to add an ice maker to the refrigerator/freezer?
- A: Yes, if your freezer has the necessary internal wiring (most do), this is a do-it-yourself project. Enter your refrigerators model number to find an icemaker kit for your model.
How long can one expect refrigerator to last before replacing it?
- A: The average life of a refrigerator is 14 to 17 years. Some last many more years, others many fewer. Proper maintenance will positively impact the life of your refrigerator.